[STUMP] Sourcing ~/.bashrc when starting Emacs from stumpwm

From: Shakthi Kannan
Subject: [STUMP] Sourcing ~/.bashrc when starting Emacs from stumpwm
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 23:23:58 +0530

Hi,

I have the following code in my ~/.stumpwmrc on Ubuntu 14.10:

=== ~/.stumpwmrc ===

;; Emacs
(defvar *emacs-command* nil
  "Start an emacs client frame. Starts an emacs daemon if necessary.")
(setf *emacs-command* "emacsclient -c -a \"\"")

(define-key *root-map* (kbd "e") "run-emacs")
(define-key *root-map* (kbd "C-e") "run-emacs")

(defcommand run-emacs () ()
    (run-shell-command (concat "exec " *emacs-command*)))

=== END ===

When I login to stumpwm, an Emacs server starts in the background, and
an Emacs client opens up. This unfortunately doesn't run my ~/.profile
(which sources ~/.bashrc). Hence, I don't get the variables defined in
~/.bashrc when I open eshell.

But, if I open a Bash terminal after logging into stumpwm and execute:

  $ bash -c 'emacsclient -c -a ""'

it opens up an Emacs client, and I am able to see the ~/.bashrc
environment variables in eshell.

I tried using the following in ~/.stumpwmrc:

  (setf *emacs-command* "bash -c 'emacsclient -c -a \"\"'")

but, I was not able to see the environment variables inside eshell.

I also tried running a command directly from inside stumpwm using "C-t
!" and 'sh -c emacsclient -c -a ""', and it opened the Emacs client,
but, I still don't see the environment variables in eshell.

Is there a way to start an Emacs client after logging into stumpwmrc,
that inherits the bash environment settings?

Appreciate any inputs in this regard,

Thanks!

SK

--