Re: [STUMP] Sourcing ~/.bashrc when starting Emacs from stumpwm

From: W . Greenhouse
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Sourcing ~/.bashrc when starting Emacs from stumpwm
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:26:38 +0000

Shakthi Kannan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Joram,
>
> --- On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 2:17 AM, Joram Schrijver <address@hidden> wrote:
> | The reason prefixing your *emacs-command* with `bash -c` doesn't work is
> | probably that the shell that is then started is not interactive.
> | Non-interactive shells don't source `~/.profile`. Adding `-i` to the
> | bash command should turn it into an interactive shell, making it source
> | `~/.profile`.
> \--
>
> That did it. Using `-i` worked.
>
> Thanks for all your replies!
>
> SK

I do a somewhat kludgey variation on this: I actually start the whole
.xsession or .xinitrc as an interactive shell by having the hashbang line
be #!/bin/zsh -i.

That way any processes invoked from stumpwm inherit the ~/.profile, even when
I am reaching stumpwm from a X login session manager. I get very confused
by the precedence and rules for when the different shell init files get run,
so I tried to simplify this to have a more consistent environment between my
GUI and shell worlds.

#!/bin/zsh -i

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -x ~/git/tomorrow-theme/Xdefaults/ ]; then
    xrdb -merge ~/git/tomorrow-theme/Xdefaults/XresourceTomorrowNightBright
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

xcompmgr &

fbsetbg -a /usr/share/wallpapers/slack-empire-1920x1080.jpg

# Start the window manager:
# if [ -z "$DESKTOP_SESSION" -a -x /usr/bin/ck-launch-session ]; then
#   exec ck-launch-session sbcl --eval '(ql:quickload "stumpwm")' --eval
'(stumpwm:stumpwm)'
# else
#   exec sbcl --eval '(ql:quickload "stumpwm")' --eval '(stumpwm:stumpwm)'
# fi
exec sbcl --eval '(ql:quickload "stumpwm")' --eval '(stumpwm:stumpwm)'
--
Regards,
WGG