[swarm-hackers] Memory leak in Swarm

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [swarm-hackers] Memory leak in Swarm
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:42:31 -0700

A few months ago Steve Jackson went through a big exercise with Valgrind to get memory leaks out of our big fish model. Some of them turned out to be in Swarm, and I finally got him to take a moment or two from his new job as math professor to tell me at least the one that bugged him the most.

Apparently when you call Symbol getName, the method uses a string dup that leaves a string in the scratch zone.

Perhaps Scott or somebody mucking in the code could deactivate that feature?

Steve

--
Steve Railsback
Lang, Railsback & Associates