forwarded message from Nigel Gilbert

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: forwarded message from Nigel Gilbert
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 06:07:54 -0700

I thought this might be of interest to Swarm users modelling
social systems.  --gepr

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Research funding interest in NSF Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:52:18 +0000
The following may primarily be of interest to our US colleagues, but is
still a heartening sign for us all:

(copied from: The AgentNews webletter,
http://www.cs.umbc.edu/agentnews/97/10/)

Les Gasser of NSF reports that the Information
Technology and Organizations (ITO) Program
(http://www.cise.nsf.gov/iris/ITOhome.html)
supports research fundamental to understanding and
developing computing and communications at
organizational and social levels, and understanding
the relationships between computation, information
processing, and human social systems of all sizes and
 scales. Topics of research supported under this
program include theory and models of organizational
information/knowledge processing; networked
information systems for scientific collaboration;
multiagent systems/distributed artificial intelligence;
coordinated work and decisionmaking; and
impacts/policy implications of information
technology. ITO is part of the Information, Robotics,
and Intelligent Systems (IRIS) Division of NSF and
 will soon be rennamed as the "Computation and
Social Systems Program".

Prof G. Nigel Gilbert, Dept of Sociology, University of Surrey, Guildford
GU2 5XH,
United Kingdom.  Tel: +44 (0)1483 259173 Fax: +44 (0)1483 259551

--- End Message ---