Swarm summer workshops in Utah

From: Paul Box
Subject: Swarm summer workshops in Utah
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:42:42 -0600 (MDT)

Hello everyone

Summer is almost here, and it is time that we can start offering swarm
 workshops here at Utah State University.

We are offering workshops of three day's length in our remote
sensing/GIS teaching lab.  The workshop is not intended as a course on
complex systems; it is rather a short course for those who are
interested in swarm, have already decided that it's what they need for
something their doing, but need help in getting started with writing
programs and "thinking" swarm.

The course will be based on the tutorials and sample applications
distributed with swarm (these are a common introduction and will
quickly get you with a common reference with other swarm
programmers), and conclude with directed construction of a model of
the student's choice on the third day.

With the course, every participant will be seated at a sun
workstation, and the instructor will have a terminal screen projected
at the front of the room for instruction.  Everyone will have
opportunity to enter commands as the instructor does to help being
"led" through the introductory material.  Each participant will also
be provided with a printed copy of the swarm manuals.

Prices are contingent upon number of participants.  We are only
allowed to charge an amount to cover our own costs for the lab.  I can
provide more specific information if I recieve sufficient interest.
The anticipated costs per participant are as follows:

        Number of Partcipants:          Price
                 5                      $430
                10                      $320
                15                      $270

With less than 5 participants, the price per participant goes up
unreasonably.  The lab does not have more than 15 seats.

I am proposing three separate dates:  June 3-5, June 17-19, and June
24-26.  I will conduct workshops on any of these dates if I can get
firm commitments from at least five participants.  I will consider
other dates if enough people ask for it and scheduling permits.

The location is on the campus of Utah State University, in Logan Utah.
We are about 1.5 hours drive north of Salt Lake City, in a small town
in the high desert.  There is abundant outdoor recreation and wildlife
viewing available, with the national forest boundary about 2 miles off
of campus.  Yellowstone, Tetons, Arches, and Dinosaur national parks
are within a few hour's drive, and the Wasatch mountains are within a
20 minute walk.

Those who are interested please contact me (not the list) at the email
or phone number listed below.

--
// Dr. Paul Box

*  If Elvis was so great, why was he buried in the back yard like a
*  hamster?