Re: A whiff of reality...

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: A whiff of reality...
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 18:52:12 -0600

Doug Donalson wrote:

> Steve, at least from looking at the quote, you got an idiot, don't take it
> for any more than that.  (After saying that, I hope its not someone I
> know...)

Hmmm....Emprical observation would suggest that all reviewers who reject papers
are total idiots, while those who accept them are without fail brilliant
scientists.

> The opinion quoted is just personal predjuce, not science.

I hate to say this, but from reading the comment I got the impression that the
reviewer did not understand the difference between an open-source API and an
off-the-shelf software package. Although I'm not familiar with the
state-of-the-art in ecology, his comments make more sense if this
misunderstanding was the case. Was the difference explained and discussed in
the paper?

This said, I think that the rejection is absurd on the face of it. By giving
this vitriolic statement the reviewer in fact validates that these
methodological issues are important and need to be discussed.

Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stefansson      | address@hidden
CASA, Inc.               | Ph : (505) 988-8807 x101