Re: A whiff of reality...

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: A whiff of reality...
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 18:26:47 +0100

Doug Donalson wrote:

> Here is a reference I ran across when writing the final chapter of my
> dissertation.
>
> Rykiel, E.J., 1996. Testing ecological models: the meaning of validation.
> Ecol. Model. 90, 229-244.
>
> Although the it is about "validation", at least it's a whack at applying a
> structure to one of these problems.  I have had several (actually, many more
> than several) arguments with my advisor and other committee members about
> including "verification" procedures in at least in a paper appendix.  The
> general feeling is that this would be like experimentalists including
> details of instrument calibration procedures.  (Ecologists make Joe Friday
> look like a light weight with "Just the facts, ma'am".  Nothing but that
> which is essential for the development of the idea in the paper should be
> included, and model testing, at this point is considered a distraction.)  I
> personally don't agree until we have verification methods as well
> delinieated as those for experimental instruments.  (Of course, in all
> cases, you still have to apply the methods.)

Just to add my tuppence-ha'penny's worth (English for two cents), there is
an interesting paper about validation and verification by Naomi Oreskes and
others in Science vol.263 (1994) pp 641-646. They argue that except in a
closed system, validation of models is not possible, since you are committing
the logical fallacy of affirming the consequent:

Assume: If any model is valid, then it will predict the data
Assume: My model predicts the data
Conclude: My model is valid

Gary

--

Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen. AB15 8QH
Tel: +44 (0) 1224 318611               Email: address@hidden