Query: Spatially uncorrelated reproducible random values

From: Nigel Gilbert
Subject: Query: Spatially uncorrelated reproducible random values
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:46:27 +0100

Can anyone suggest an algorithm that I can use to map from a vector of integers to an integer, such that there is no correlation between the magnitudes of the input values and the output, yet the same input always generates the same output?

To clarify this, let me give the context:

I am writing a simulation that explores a "random" multi-dimensional fitness landscape. For each location on the landscape there is a corresponding fitness value. This value is uncorrelated with the location. I _could_ use a standard random number generator to create the landscape represented as a multi-dimensional array, by traversing the array and storing the next sequential value from the generator at each successive array element. Later, when I need to find the fitness at a particular location, I could just look up the value at the appropriate coordinates in the array. However, the landscape is potentially vast and the storage needed for the array is therefore unreasonable, especially since fitness values at only a few locations will be required in any one run. Thus what I need is a function that has the location coordinates as inputs and the fitness value as the output, where the fitness value is a random number with no 'spatial' correlation with the coordinates.

Conventional discussions of random number generators assume that what you want is a random number stream, rather than a random mapping. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Nigel Gilbert
Prof Nigel Gilbert, PhD, FREng, Department of Sociology, University of Surrey,
     Guildford GU2 5XH, UK. Tel: +44 1483 259173 Fax: +44 1483 259551