Re: Newbie Installation queestion

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Newbie Installation queestion
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:17:22 -0500

Kenneth Gosier wrote:

> Hello all, I am currently trying to install Swarm 2.1.1 on a RedHat 6.2
> i386 machine. What I've done so far is download the 5 rpm files from
> ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/redhat/i386/
>
> hdf5-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
> swarm-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
> swarm-hdf5-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
> swarm-kaffe-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
> swarm-static-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
>
> I have no problems when I use the command
>
> rpm -ivh filename
>
> on the 3 files
>
> hdf5-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
> swarm-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
> swarm-static-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
>
> But when I do the same to swarm-hdf5-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm, I get the
> error message
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         swarm conflicts with swarm-hdf5-2.1.1-1.rh6
>         swarm-hdf5 conflicts with swarm-2.1.1-1.rh6
>
> Question: What's going wrong here? Should I even be installing all 5 files
> in this way?
 swarm-hdf5 is a replacement for swarm. It is not a complement to it.
The replacement swarm-hdf5 has support for hdf5 data files.  The last
time I looked, Alex had put a big readme file in the SDG's ftp directory
explaining all this.

You should rpm -e swarm
and rpm -Uvh swarm-hdf5

Don't bother with swarm-static unless you want to, it is not needed, but
it helps with some diagnostic things.

These details are not docuented in the faq because they were well
documented on SDG. I see now that file is not in the current RPM
directory, but you can still get it here:

ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/old/redhat/RPMS/i386/README.i386

On my site I've got rpms for the newer swarms (address below), I only
offering swarm-hdf5 and no kaffe, just jdk, but I've documented all that
pretty well.

Take it easy!  What you have installed now should allow you to compile
and run most swarm apps.

> I can gladly take a reference to RTFM from somewhere I haven't checked
> yet. I have looked through the Getting Started with Swarm guide,
> as well as Paul Johnson's online FAQ, and as far as I can tell, I should
> just install all 5 files. Though querying the 2 conflicting rpm's seems
> to show they want to install almost the same set of files.
>
> Question 2: I can't install swarm-kaffe-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm, b/c I don't
> have kaffe installed on this machine (though I have the rpm on the RedHat
> CD.) Do I only need to install this rpm if I want to program simulations
> in Java, or perhaps run other people's Java applications?
Right, if you don't want Java, you don't need swarm-kaffe.