Re: Bayesian Networks in Swarm

From: Jason Alexander
Subject: Re: Bayesian Networks in Swarm
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:58:22 -0700

> I am thinking about using Bayesian Networks to model interactions
> between individuals for decision making and wanted to ask the group if
> Bayesian networks can be used in Swarm.

Swarm is a general-purpose programming library which provides a number of
extremely useful tools for constructing agent-based models.  So the quick
answer to your question is "yes, absolutely."  However, if you were
inquiring whether any pre-packaged tools exist for Bayesian networks, then
the answer is "no."  Some users may have written some tools for Bayesian
networks which they might be willing to share, though.

You may have to implement your own Bayesian network from scratch.  However,
even if you have to do that, Swarm is extremely useful because it provides
much of the infrastructure which (a) one needs for writing models, (b) is
tedious and boring to write, and (c) is difficult to do well.

Cheers,

Jason