Re: polymorphism (was compare swarm with repast)

From: Gulyas Laszlo
Subject: Re: polymorphism (was compare swarm with repast)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:24:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Russell Standish wrote:

> One scenario I can think of is setting up proxy objects to represent
> another object living in another processes address space. Method
> invocations, etc. need to be passed via the proxy, so the proxy needs
> to be able to handle rather unexpected sorts of messages. Objective C
> can do this sort of thing standing on its head. I need to do this sort
> of thing in C++, but I'm not sure I have the problem licked (but I
> have a few techniques I'd like to try).

This sounds like distributed computing to me. CORBA may help in that,
although it is not particularly easy to work with unless you have good
development tools. Mobile computation may also help, but that rarely
supports C++.

Sorry if this was completely out of scope.

Gulya

> >                   ==================================
> >    Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
> >    esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
> >    please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
> >    body of the message.
> >                   ==================================

> A/Prof Russell Standish                Director
> High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
> UNSW SYDNEY 2052                       Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
> Australia                              address@hidden
> Room 2075, Red Centre                    http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/rks
>             International prefix  +612, Interstate prefix 02

>    Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
>    esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
>    please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
>    body of the message.

Laszlo Gulyas                           address@hidden
AI Laboratory                           http://www.sztaki.hu/~gulyas/
Computer and Automation Research Inst.  H-1111, Budapest, Kende u. 13-17.
Hungarian Academy of Sciences           * 36 1 209-6194

--> On leave at Government Department, Harvard University      <--
--> 113b VanSerge, Mails: 34 Kirkland st., Cambridge, MA 02138 <--
--> address@hidden, (617) 384-9088                     <--