Re: [Swarm Modelling] Successful predictions are not enough

From: Jason Alexander
Subject: Re: [Swarm Modelling] Successful predictions are not enough
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:10:34 +0000

Hi Cal

i've been following this discussion of modeling with interest, and i want to point out that good predictions are not always enough - ``good'' explanation is also an important and useful criterion (even if it is hard to decide what
``good'' means in this context)

This is absolutely right and (to my mind) crucially important. So far I've been ignoring the fact that explanations are often, though not always, answers to why-questions and, as such, usually pitched at a particular level (and with a certain set of terms and concepts in mind) and any explanation that is to count as an "acceptable" or "satisfactory" explanation needs to be addressed at the same level. My favourite example is the (hypothetical) answer to the why-question "Why did my computer crash?" Now, if the only criterion of a satisfactory explanation is that it be a causal explanation, then one could answer the question of why my computer crashed by handing me a complete binary state description of my computer one minute before it crashed. That, plus knowledge of how my computer changes state, counts as a complete causal explanation of the phenomenon. But I'd be really ticked off if a MSCE responded to my question of why my computer crashed by dropping a 500-page book of 0s and 1s on my desk. The level of explanation matters.

Cheers,

Jason
--
Dr. J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method