Re: [Swarm Modelling] painting apps

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm Modelling] painting apps
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:09:36 +1100 (EST)

The best software I've come across for doing this sort of stuff is
"pstricks", which is a freely available LaTeX package (from
CTAN). It's excellent for producing technical diagrams, precisely
because it is not a WYSIWIG package.

On the otherhand, its pretty lousy for artistic freehand style drawing
- one of the standard drawing packages such as xfig will do you for
this. Anything that can output encapsulated postscript is suitable
here.

Graphing data is better done using a plotting package that can produce
eps - I've been very happy with Gnuplot for this purpose.

Bear in mind that eps can be simply and easily imported into LaTeX
(and PSTricks' pspicture environment), so hybrid approaches are easily
followed as well.

The expensive Adobe packages are best for retouching photographic
images - there are freeware alternatives for these to, the best of
which is probably the GIMP.

You should chose the right tool for the job. pstricks is best for the
sort of line diagrams you're trying to do. So often I see poorly
produced scientific illustrations simply because the author chose the
wrong tool for the job (eg using Adobe Phootshop, which is rarely suitable).

                                                Cheers