[Swarm Modelling] painting apps

From: Scott Christley
Subject: [Swarm Modelling] painting apps
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:36:23 -0800

I know this isn't a modeling question but hopefully those of you writing papers which include graphics have found a solution.

I'm looking for a basic painting application with tools for drawing graph type structures; circles, boxes, curvy lines(bezier curves), arcs, arrows, labels, that sort of stuff, but not with freehand which will just look sloppy. The app should also be able to export the images into a format that can be processed by LaTex, encapsulated postscript (EPS) being optimal. Lastly, I want it to run on Mac OSX but I'm also open to any free software for GNU/Linux.

I know I can probably buy one of those expensive Adobe packages but that seems overkill for the type of stuff I want to paint.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Scott