Re: [Swarm Modelling] painting apps

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: [Swarm Modelling] painting apps
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:23:01 -0800

I use Canvas 8.0 (http://www.deneba.com/products/canvas8/default2.html) which is $399 and OS X native (they have a good educational discount.) This is probably overkill for just curves, but this is my favorite graphics tool and I have been using it for over 10 years. It is object oriented in design and could be used to replace Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, Freehand, etc because text, bit maps, vector images, etc are all neatly integrated.

Two nights ago, I moved in a .jpg from Mapquest of my neighborhood, set its transparency to 50%, used Bezier curves to trace over the important streets in my neighborhood, used the clip-on text feature to attach street names that followed the curve of the street, and had a custom professional looking map of my neighborhood for my girlfriend. The text is spell checked, but I can still extrude it into three dimensions, texture it, and set a color gradient through it. It can do a lot of the work of Photoshop, including accepting plugins. And, you can do drawing (like precision vector work), painting (resulting in bitmaps from a variety of brushes, etc), and photo work in one package. Absolutely amazing tool that I use constantly. Also, the customer support is solid.

I noticed on their website that the old version (Canvas 7) is available for $85 as a download (http://www.deneba.com/products/canvas7se/default.html) (why don't more software companies do that with old versions??) I used version 6 for a very long time and used it in Classic mode until I got grant money for a new version. If you don't mind working in Classic mode and price is an issue then Canvas 7 would be a great solution.

Both versions of Canvas will output into about any format you can think of.

If you already have Microsoft Word, it has some drawing tools included. They are kind of idiosyncratic though and if you are using LaTex, you probably aren't a Microsoft fan.

Again, I would highly recommend Canvas, it can do the work of a lot of other tools in an nice integrated package. And, at 85$ for the old version the price point would not be beatable.

        Darren