Re: [Swarm Modelling] painting apps

From: Jason Alexander
Subject: Re: [Swarm Modelling] painting apps
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:14:12 +0000

It's not quite as fancy as Canvas but if you install fink you can run xfig. It can export to EPS, PDF, MetaFont and several other formats. Xfig lets you import bitmaps and put line art over them, too. It's interface is a bit dated but, overall, it's a powerful program and generally what I turn to first before looking elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jason

Two nights ago, I moved in a .jpg from Mapquest of my neighborhood, set its transparency to 50%, used Bezier curves to trace over the important streets in my neighborhood, used the clip-on text feature to attach street names that followed the curve of the street, and had a custom professional looking map of my neighborhood for my girlfriend. The text is spell checked, but I can still extrude it into three dimensions, texture it, and set a color gradient through it. It can do a lot of the work of Photoshop, including accepting plugins. And, you can do drawing (like precision vector work), painting (resulting in bitmaps from a variety of brushes, etc), and photo work in one package. Absolutely amazing tool that I use constantly. Also, the customer support is solid.
--
J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method