[Swarm Modelling] Re: The "Art" of Modeling

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: [Swarm Modelling] Re: The "Art" of Modeling
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:58:33 -0800

Pardon my cross-post, but I think is a really important topic and wanted to encourage a few different groups of folks to chime in on the repast list.

I have been giving a lot of thought to the problem of modeling and hope to teach a class on it in the nearish future (first I get a job and finish my Ph.D.) My ambition is to teach a course on Modeling that looks at Formal Modeling (game theory type of stuff), Statistical Modeling, and Computational Modeling. I think that the distinctions among these forms of modeling are increasingly breaking down in the social sciences. Evolutionary game theory can be hard to distinguish from agent-based modeling, MCMC seems to have more in common with agent-based modeling than ordinary least squares, and agent-based models process/generate a lot of statistical data and often have non-cooperative games at their core.

Lars-Erik Cederman taught me the incredible value of the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) principle as he trained me in agent-based modeling. And, I have tried to live by that in my model design. One of my favorite quotes is from jurist Oliver Wendel Holmes "I don't care at all for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I'd give my right arm for the simplicity on the far side." What we are usually looking for is the far-side simplicity (not to be confused with Gary Larson's implementation in comics.)

Breaking the phenomena into the smallest pieces possible has tremendous advantages. Parsimony is obvious. If we can explain a lot with a little, we have a great model. I like to call such models "high leverage." The prisoner's dilemma is fabulous because this little story can explain so many phenomena in society and in nature. A parsimonious model may only explain some portion of the phenomena of interest, but my experience is that in the process of cutting out everything not absolutely essential, what remains is essential in the sense that it is the essence of the problem thus important for many other related problems.

The simplest model has the virtue of being doable. We avoid the perennial problem of procrastination with models that are so finely divided that doing the first step is simple. With a problem really effectively dissected into the smallest components, we have very few excuses for taking the first step, or the second... etc. Pretty soon you will find you've accomplished something interesting. And, oddly enough that interesting stuff might happen earlier than you expected it. I have had a few occasions where an adequate explanation emerged with much less machinery than I'd imagined it was going to take. Building from a ridiculously simple model means that you have a greater chance of finding a ridiculously simple explanation for the complex phenomena. It also gives you and your audience a sense of the cumulation of knowledge - e.g. "we need this bit to explain A, and this other bit has to get added to explain B."

Another great advantage of the KISS approach is debugging. Rarely do models work in the first instance. How often do our regressions make sense at first pass? Or, do our programs compile at the first "make" command? We can more easily evaluate the model to make sure it is doing what we want when we can see it in little pieces. With only one variable in our statistical analysis, we can easily tell if everything is coded correctly.

Finally (although I am sure I am leaving out some other important advantages), simple models are interpretable. Political scientist Chris Achen argues for "A Rule of Three" (TOWARD A NEW POLITICAL METHODOLOGY: Microfoundations and ART , Annu. Rev. Polit. Sci. 2002. 5:423-45) so that we generate models that we can actually wrap our minds around and understand. When the parameter space of a model is hyperdimensional, it becomes extremely difficult to make any sense out of it. Steve Bankes at RAND has done some interesting work showing that some seemingly intractable debates can actually be reduced into just a few relevant questions. He uses a great program to just define the scope of policy debates and map out where the real contentions are. A high dimensional model may seem to fit the data nearly perfectly, but be so fragile that even small measurement errors would break their conclusions.

With the lessons on simplicity firmly in mind, I attended a talk by a weather scholar at UCLA. He described the hundreds of differential equations in his program and how dramatic the improvements over former attempts have been. This made me incredibly nervous. Hundreds of differential equations seemed to lead right into the problems of atheoretic uninterpretability that Achen warns about. In response, our weather expert said "our aim with this model is to save people's lives and get them out of the way of floods and disaster, not to 'understand' tornados."

This clarified for me the distinction between simulations and models. I think of simulations as programs which endeavor to predict outcomes with great fidelity. And, models help us to faithfully understand processes and outcomes. Most projects will want some balance between the goals of modeling and simulation. How much understanding do we need? How much predictive power do we need? I think that a good modeling process looks back and forth from one goal to the other because advances in one area facilitate advances in the other. Jane Azevedo has written a usefully book on modeling using the analogy of maps "Mapping Reality: An Evolutionary Realist Methodology for the Natural Social Sciences (Suny Series in the Philosophy of the Social Sciences.)" A geological map, a topological map, a census map, a subway map, a flight map, and a sketch on a napkin to get you to my house from the restaurant are all maps for different purposes. They, like models, should be evaluated by standards relevant to their objectives. Bill McKelvey as UCLA's Anderson School done some great thinking on a "Model Centered Science" arguing for model centeredness as a good epistemological foundation for science in the current age.

A final thought is the importance of ambitions. While I always break my model into really tiny pieces (version 0.00.01 usually creates ten agents and has them report their ID number), I also want to dream big. I imagine the coolest version of the project I can think of. What would it look like? What would it do? How would it work? I then "backward plan" from that ambition. What would the slightly less ambitious version accomplish? I walk back until I get to a version 0.00.01 that I could write and evaluate in 5 minutes. This way, I can expect that I can minimize the kludges as I try to make my model more and more sophisticated from version 0.00.01 to version 1.0. Because I have big ambitions, I will almost always choose the most general way of coding something. I avoid constants like the plague. If I was writing a model with a prisoner's dilemma at the core, I would parameterize it so that I could easily transform it into another game by just changing the payoff structure. I would also make all the agents have their own payoff matrices so that I could change to heterogeneous payoffs once I understood how homogeneity worked. Thus, in a later version, I might think that we are playing a battle of the sexes while you think we are in a prisoner's dilemma.

That's my more than 2 cents on the art of modeling. I would really appreciate feedback (to me or to the repast list) since this is an area I want to further explore.

        Darren