Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Swarm Modeling

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Swarm Modeling
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:04:41 -0500

I think it will be really interesting to see your tutorial. As my class is winding down now, I have a few pressing tutorial elements to get ready for them. I believe in the simpleObserverBug3 element I added in cvs tutorial. And now it occurs to me I need to write simpleObserverBug4 (or some such) about how to write a batch observer swarm onto it. After that is where the problem starts. How to collect data and present? We have gone around here in this list sometimes on this. I believe the tutorial's simpleExperBug tutorial is not useful and misleading in many ways. It is very difficult to get a GUI model to cleanly restart. That's why I like the simpleObserverBug3 approach. But after that, we need a survey of ways people run models over and over again and then summarize/present results for publication. I know it is simplistic, but I still find it easiest to write out numbers into a file for each run of the simulation as described here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/ps909/Agent-Based_Models/fprintfnote.txt

and I have used some scripts to "grab the last line" and collect them into a file to make summaries. OR I have code for R to step one-by-one through the output datasets and show the patterns I'm looking at.

I promised the students that by Wednesday, 5pm I would cobble together my notes on this, I'll share what I have. When you have some stuff, please announce so I can see too.

There are some problems I did not solve yet. If a model has some natural stopping point, one can take measures, and then summarise across runs. If a model has no natural stopping point, then it is a difficult thing to know when to stop and measure. Also, the development of measures is not so easy as most students expect.

David H. Clements wrote:

I am putting together a tutorial that takes people through the process of model design and implementation using Swarm and I was wondering what people used as their software development methodology?

The one that I have seen the most is a variant on the rapid prototyping and waterfall paradigms, which looks something like this:

Concept->Requirements<->Specification<->Design<->Implementation/Rapid- Prototype<->Data Collection<->Data Analysis<->Testing/Sanity Check (this also connects back to requirements)->Final Analysis.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Sincerely,
David