Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Objective C / Java

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Objective C / Java
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:06:59 -0400

I recommend Objective-C. I like it best. It is the most dependable Swarm implementation. Swarm models in ObjC are generally easier to write and faster. I don't think it is true that "Java is the future", at least for Swarm, because Swarm itself is written in Obj-C and the most complete documentation is available for Obj-C. In order to use java Swarm, you still need to understant the Obj-C version, because much of the magic of writing Java Swarm is understanding how the Java Native Interface communicates with Obj-C Swarm. So in any case you need to begin with Objective-C Swarm, and then if you decide that is what you need, you can extend yourself to Java. I've written a couple of models in both, just for the fun of translation. It won't kill you. The biggest problem for me was that some of the staples of the Swarm experience--ZoomRaster--were not available in the Java edition. I recall we wrote a Raster class using the Java graphics libraries, but don't have any recollection of what happened to it.

About 5 years ago it appeared that the entire future of computing was going to be gobbled up by Java, but it is much less clear today. My CS department dropped C/C++ in the intro classes and taught only Java about 5 years ago, and then 2 years ago C/C++ was reintroduced and there's less interest in Java.

Ajay S. Behl wrote:
Dear All:

I am a second year PhD student and have just begun looking at Swarm.  I plan
to use it for a major chunk of my PhD thesis. My question is:
Should I go in for learn Java or move into ObjC?

I have some experience with C but absolutely none with Java.  From what I
could make out from the various Swarm related stuff was that *Java is the
future*.  At the same time, much of the work seems to have been done in
ObjC.

What is your advice?

Thanks a ton!

Best regards,