[Swarm-Modelling] ABM models of alternate forms of government?

From: Andy Cleary
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] ABM models of alternate forms of government?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:29:52 -0700

I'm wondering if anyone knows of work involving ABM modeling with a goal of being able to model the evolution of societies under alternate forms of government? I'm particularly interested in work focused on systems with "small" government (minarchy, libertarianism, zero-state, etc), which, because of its decentralized definition, necessarily leads to a society in which emergent behavior is a huge organizing principle. This would seem to be good niche for ABM analysis with its ability to capture emergent behaviors.

I realize the task has enormous complications at any realistic level, but even toy simulations with that basic theme would be of interest. I know of the existence, as a point of comparison, of several efforts to model international relationships or race relationships via simple ABMs (often just cellular automata or something slightly above that), but these simulations do not seem to have the element of varying the form of government (the "laws" if you will).

I've never seen any but as a computational scientist and not a social scientist, there are likely large gaps in my knowledge of the latter.

Any pointers or even "pointers to pointers" would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy