[Swarm-Modelling] ABM in Nature

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] ABM in Nature
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:24:07 -0800

There's a strange feeling you get when people reproduce your work and publish it in a much more prestigious journal, without citing your paper...a combination of validation and violation.

The cover article of today's issue of Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/index.html ) is a paper that addresses a very similar problem to the one that my colleagues and I addressed via a Swarm model: can a small number of "directed" individuals steer a school of fish that otherwise follows Boids-like behavior (http://www.humboldt.edu/~ecomodel/clupeoids.htm )?

Couzin et al. do a much more detailed analysis than we did, and have much nicer graphics. On the other hand, they acknowledge funding from at least six sources; our funding was zero, we did the software in 2 days (by modifying the Swarm version of Boids that Paul Johnson recently updated and posted), and our simulations were run on a laptop during a flight from the US to Norway.

It's also interesting that Couzin et al. seem to carefully avoid using the words "agent-based" or "individual-based model", even though that's what they used.

Steve Railsback

--
Lang Railsback & Assoc.
250 California Ave.