Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABM in Nature

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABM in Nature
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:11:46 -0800

Alex Lancaster wrote:
SR> But in the paper they discuss what individuals know and do, so I
SR> infer it is an individual-based model. If not, they could not have
SR> resisted showing the math. (There is nothing on the 'supplemental
SR> information' site that provides any more information on the
SR> model.)

That's bad enough it in itself, you shouldn't have to *infer* the
model being used, it should be explicit in the paper.  Somebody should
write a letter to Nature requesting a more detailed explanation of the
model, if it's not published in *full detail*, how can it be
reproduced? ;-)

A.

Ah, as I explained to Gary off-list, one of the benefits of publishing in Nature (or Science) is that they have extremely limited space, so it is impossible to describe your work in full detail.

(However, they do allow extra material to be posted at their web site, which in this case also did not include a description of the model.)

Steve

--
Lang Railsback & Assoc.
250 California Ave.