[Swarm-Modelling] Couzin et al. ABM in Nature

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Couzin et al. ABM in Nature
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:33:55 -0800

Last week I made an unfortunately phrased posting concerning the new paper in Nature by Couzin et al. ("Effective leadership and decision-making in animal groups on the move", p. 513) and a previous study I had been involved in that addressed a similar problem. I did not intend to imply that the authors intentionally failed to give credit for the previous study; I have since been in touch with the authors and they assure me that they were unaware of our paper.

Meanwhile, I encourage people to read the new paper. It is a good example of a topic often discussed here- how do you design and analyze an ABM to develop results of general theoretical interest. Try getting it here: http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v433/n7025/index.html

Steve Railsback