Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Genetic mechanisms for evolving agents?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Genetic mechanisms for evolving agents?
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:25:42 -0500

The Santa Fe Artificial Stock Market uses a genetic algorithm. The agents use the GA to tune their mental models of the world and invest in the market. My internet access is incredibly slow right now and I don't have access to all of the citations. The ones I have handy from my syllabus are

W.Brian Arthur, John H. Holland, Blake LeBaron, Richard Palmer, and Paul Tayler. Asset Pricing Under Endogenous Expectations in an Artificial Stock Market. SFI working paper.

Paul E. Johnson, ``Agent-Based Modeling: What I Learned From the Artificial Stock Market,'' Social Science Computer Review, V 20(2) Summer 2002, p. 174-186.

I think if you look at Blake LeBaron's vita, you'll find a review paper about the ASM that was writte in 2002 or 2003.

address@hidden wrote:
We have used some genetic techniques for evolving agents, particularly for
the purposes of tuning their behavior. I'm trying to get a broader review
of what work has been done in this area. I would expect that there is some
other research on using genetic methods for tuning, but there is probably
even more on using genetic algorithms for evolving agents in populations
used in ecological or sociological models. I would appreciate pointers to
any researchers and papers that you are aware of in this area.

Thanks  --  John Sauter, Altarum