Re: [Swarm-Modelling] foundation of ABMs

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] foundation of ABMs
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:56:11 -0700

Pablo Gomez Mourelo wrote:

Dear all:

I am an engineer very interested in agent-based modelling. I have a question for you all, related to justification/foundation of ABMs. I have already read some literature and it seems to me that a justification of agent-based modelling has not been achieved (Volker Grimm). One of the problems of AB-modelling is that randomness is nearly always included in our simulations, so different executions turn into different outcomes. In comparison to mathematical models , it seems to me very difficult to develop a general theory (foundation) of agent based modelling. HOw do we know an ABM converges to some solution? How can we describe stability of an ABM? Many modellers feel satisfied with the graphical output, but mathematicians always complain about the lack or rigour beneath the simulation.

Now I will throw in my thoughts, which have been stimulated by similar discussions on Swarm Modelling over the years and by working with the good Dr. Grimm.

a. When we use agent-based models, we give up the concept of system-level theory. That's why we use ABM, because we don't think there are system-level models or concepts (like stability) that are useful for the kind of problems we want to work on. Instead, we are interested in understanding the processes by which system dynamics emerge.

b. Instead, we should be concerned with theory at the *individual* level: what models of how individual behave and interact with each other and their environment are useful for reproducing emergent system phenomena?

c. We can test and "prove" individual-level theory by putting it in an ABM and seeing if the ABM reproduces a wide variety of observed dynamics at both the individual and system levels. If so, then we can be fairly confident that the ABM captures the essential processes that system dynamics emerge from.

This kind of theory has been described as "algorithmic" instead of analytical- we try to understand the "rules" or mechanisms from which different outcomes emerge under different situations. Evolution is a good example: we have a very good understanding of the mechanisms of evolution, but we still cannot predict what the outcome will be.

There are some papers discussing and illustrating this approach at our site: www.humboldt.edu/~ecomodel/products.htm Look for a paper called 'Getting "results"...', and recent papers on habitat selection by fish. There is a review of other examples in the book by Dr. Grimm and me, also described on our site.

Steve Railsback

--
Lang Railsback & Assoc.
250 California Ave.