Re: [Swarm-Modelling] foundation of ABMs

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] foundation of ABMs
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:36:36 -0400

On Apr 5, 2005, at 8:06 PM, Christopher J. Mackie wrote:

Darren; I have no quarrel with anything that promotes humility and courage, but are relativism and objectivism the best two touchpoints for your argument? I'm not clear about how they're the kind of indirect motivation to improve empirical adequacy that I understand you to claim them to be, or (pace Kant) that contemplating the noumena is sufficient to keep you on course between Scylla and Charybdis. How is it different from contemplating your navel, or the face of God?

As (at least) one alternative, what about my favorite philosophy of science, van Fraasen's "constructive empiricism"? I see that as much closer in spirit to the perspective you attribute to McKelvey than is Kant--and you don't have to postulate unseeable, unknowable thingies to get there. Start by acknowledging inescapable subjectivity, don't pretend to rely on what you can't possibly know, and strive always for higher levels of empirical adequacy: that sounds like 'humility and courage', and it also sounds like 'model-centered science'.

I'm not sure that we disagree. I chose relativism and objectivism as targets simply because they underlie a lot of popular thinking about about how we know things.

"Contemplating the noumena" isn't something that I spend much time doing. But, I do think that acknowledging that the world we observe is not the same as the world as it is, is a useful habit. How many undergraduate econ textbooks have I seen that begin with nuanced and humble first chapter about the simplifying assumptions that they make and end with a final chapter that has reduced the world to a couple of utility functions and indifference curves? Even worse are the occasional economists that I run into who actually believe that their simplifying assumptions are "true", rather than useful tools for achieving analytic results. Show me a "rational man" and I will have to seriously change my career trajectory.

And I would be cautious about too much emphasis on "inescapable subjectivity." In the extreme, this is my concern with relativism.

I don't have enough familiarity with van Fraasen's work to comment constructively. In reaction to your comments though, empirical adequacy is not my only motivator. One of my concerns with much philosophy of science is the emphasis on the "true" to the exclusion of the "beautiful" and "just." My days in law convinced me that the "just the facts ma'am" approach to contemporary political science is missing the boat.

        Darren