Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Hello- Few questions about Swarm applications to S

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Hello- Few questions about Swarm applications to SCM
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:17:03 -0600

Dr. Béla Pátkai wrote:

Hi Yogeshwar,

Yes, it is possible to model and simulate Supply Chains with Swarm, some packages have been developed for this purpose. Those three I know of are:

I. Fu-Ren Lin, Troy J. Strader, Michael J.Shaw developed a supply chain simulator for Swarm in Objective-C. If you are a C programmer this may be interesting for you (as far as I can tell C code is easy to wrap into objc classes). They published a paper on it in the first Swarm book "Economic Simulations in Swarm - Agent-Based Modelling and Object Oriented Programming", the paper is "Using Swarm for Simulating the Order Fulfillment Process in Divergent Assembly Supply Chains". The code is probably available on the swarm ftp, at least I have it on my hard drive from somewhere.

If you--or anybody--do have a full working copy of that Lin, Stradler, and Shaw code, please send it to me and I'll make sure it goes into the swarm archives. As of now, the code that is provided is incomplete. It has the h and m files, but it does not have the data files that are required to actually run a simulation.

A student in China has been corresponding with me about that model during the last semester and it was a somewhat frustrating experience to learn we did not have all of the moving parts

pj

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086