Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Question about Distributed Simulations

From: docgca
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Question about Distributed Simulations
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:50:06 -0400

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the quick reply. So if you don't mind let me see if I can describe this in lay terms: Each node is then responsible for some portion of the overall model (as far as the computations associated with that portion), then they output at the end of each "step" to the shared HDF5 database, the data then being re-inputed into each node at the beginning of each step. Therefore the communication between each node's portion of the model is via the database and not from node to node. Therefore optimizing the structure of the model in the cluster depend on balancing the rate of information reading/writing into the database, the computational intensity at each node, and the number of nodes. Furthermore, any computational process that can read/write into the HDF database can be parallelized in this way. Is this the general gist?

Gary