Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Question about Distributed Simulations

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Question about Distributed Simulations
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:11:01 -0600

address@hidden wrote:
Therefore the communication between each node's portion of the model is via the database and not from node to node.
It may be worth thinking about whether you can set up nearest neighbor communication. Each node on Blue Gene / L has six nearest neighbors, so if you could could directly conform the simulation to that you'd get higher performance. Supposing the model is spatial, each worker node would have to look around it to gather (via MPI calls you'd have to code) relevant context for a `step' computation from up/below, left/right, and front/back it.
Therefore optimizing the structure of the model in the cluster depend on balancing the rate of information reading/writing into the database, the computational intensity at each node, and the number of nodes. Furthermore, any computational process that can read/write into the HDF database can be parallelized in this way. Is this the general gist?
Right. It's a question of how much information really must move out of a local computation to a global pool in order to keep the model correct. If that can be limited to about 10 MB/sec, then it looks like you won't have bottlenecks on this kind of system. Latency will be much lower in the first approach, and bandwidth much higher, but that comes at the cost of low-level coding complexity in the model. I generally prefer to make sure I have a problem before I fix it!

Marcus