Re: [Swarm-Modelling] (no subject)

From: docgca
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:37:19 -0500

Speaking with the experience as someone who had literally, and I mean literally, no programming experience what so ever, I would strongly reccommend that you sit down and have a face to face with someone who does have some experience in both modeling and programming and go through the steps that Glen and Markus suggsted early on in this thread.  Your flowchart/conceptual model should preceed any attempt to place it into a particular toolkit; find out what you want to accomplish with your model and then find a toolkit that matches best your modeling goals and expertise.  I think Netlogo is a great, great starter tool for those of use who are not computer savvy, and if you want to play with it to see what it is like then that is great, but just be very, very careful about trying to shoehorn the structure/purpose/design of your modeling project into something that may not fit.  So find this out first, then I would suggest that you perhaps prototype it (Markus' Zero order absraction) in Netlogo, and then if you find that it doesn't give you all the things that you need (and therefore you need to really determine what you "need" for the model to accomplish what you want), then thing about extending to something that requires more programming/computer expertise.

Gary An, MD
Assistant Professor Surgery
Division of Trauma/Critical Care
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine