Re: [Swarm-Modelling] RE: Brahms

From: Maarten Sierhuis
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] RE: Brahms
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:30:24 -0800

Chris,

I see the Brahms license in the same way as the Sun Java license, as long as it is used for non-commercial use. The Sun Java license can be revoked by Sun at any time, it actually says "TERMINATION.  This Agreement is effective until terminated."

Maybe we should change the "non-commercial" part and let people use it for whatever, whenever, but I feel that commercial firms, who make money of of a product, should pay for its development. How much is up to the developers. I would never want to ask much for Brahms, but as is evident from the Swarm SDG debate, developing a tool is a time consuming and difficult thing.

To be honest, we created this license more than 10 years ago, and I haven't looked at it ever since. However, as an example of how easy we are, we just had someone from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute ask for a five year license key, and without question we simply gave it to them.

One issue that withholds me from making Brahms GPL is the bureaucracy at NASA. It is just too much hassle to deal with the lawyers. Until I do this, we can't give away source code. But, in my opinion, Brahms is like Java. You don't need the source code, it is a language and a virtual machine to execute the compiled byte code. Right now, as long as you do research you can use it for free. You also get a development environment (the Composer) developed in Java. We're working on a free Eclipse plugin. We are developing much more modeling capabilities than are currently in Eclipse.

If you want to do something commercial with it, just ask and we can figure it out together. I have not had any commercial firm ask for a commercial license, although we do have commercial firms using Brahms for DARPA and SBIR projects.

Doei ... MXS

 Dr. ing. Maarten Sierhuis                 USRA/RIACS
 Senior Scientist                               Mail Stop B269-1
 Human-Centered Computing            NASA Ames Research Center
                                                      Moffett Field, CA 94035
 e-mail: address@hidden
 Phone: (650) 604-4917
 Fax: (650) 604-4036

This communication is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain information that is privileged or confidential.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please destroy it, all copies and any attachments and notify the sender as soon as possible. Any comments, statements or opinions expressed in this communication do not necessarily reflect those of NASA or USRA/RIACS, its subsidiaries and affiliates.