RE: [Swarm-Modelling] RE: Brahms

From: Christopher J. Mackie
Subject: RE: [Swarm-Modelling] RE: Brahms
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:21:45 -0500

Thanks for the reply, Maarten; I'm glad you see the Brahms license to be
comparable to Java--which is recently released under a 'true' open source
license, I am happy to note :-)

However, there is an important difference between a programming language
released by an immense multinational to enterprise customers with whom the
company has many other mutual points of leverage (and for which there are now
open source compilers), and a programming language released by a startup to
individual customers who have no other points of leverage; at least, none on
which they can rely, absent any clear understanding of the business model. In
the former case, we can all assume with great confidence that Sun won't make
any moves that will alienate its customer base, and that no financial exigency
will force it to do so; in the latter case, we can have no such assurance. In
fact, part of the reason Sun finally open-sourced Java, after years of
pressure, was that the company's financial situation became dire enough that
customers were starting to explore other options, precisely out of the concern
that Sun in its need might start to seek revenue streams from Java licensing.

All this to say, (politely I hope :-), that you're not Sun, and Brahms isn't
Java, and some of us will need a little more licensing assurance if we're going
to bet our work-products, publications, and careers on it. I'd prefer open
source, to be sure, but it's not the only way to accomplish what I'm talking
about. You could, for instance, simply change the license to allow use of the
current version in perpetuity, provided it's only for research and
non-commercial purposes. That will leave you free to explore any money-making
options you can find, even to the point of commercializing the entire product
in some future version, and still protect me and my work today.

In other words, I have *no* problems with you making money at this: your hard
work should be rewarded as much as anyone else's, and especially if Brahms
proves valuable to me, I'm eager to see you secure revenues sufficient to
prevent any need for the kind of conversation that Glen and Marcus have been
having :-). But, for exactly the same reasons you outline, I'm concerned about
protecting my own intellectual property; namely, the models I build in Brahms.
As long as you can take Brahms away at any time, without reason, then even if
it's free, it's too expensive for me.

I hope this helps,  --Chris