swarm-swarmfest2004

[SwarmFest2004] Me + SwarmFest = not this year

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [SwarmFest2004] Me + SwarmFest = not this year
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:09:53 -0800

I have just decided that I will not be able to get to SwarmFest this year; not out of lack of enthusiasm or interest. But I was just notified by our publisher that they want our book on individual-based modeling and ecology produced by the end of April. I feel like the book is the biggest contribution I can make to the community. And I am planning to defend a PhD dissertation at the University of Bergen in late May.

I will keep trying to help with planning as I can.

And I hope to continue pursuing some serious funding for SDG. Unfortunately my most recent experience has been a little discouraging. A very prominent ecologist who sits on SFI's science board provided comments on our draft book; these comments indicate (a) a persistent reluctance to accept agent-based modeling as science, even as a way to study complex systems (!!); (b) a lack of understanding of what Swarm is and its history with SFI. For example, this person said something indicating that they think Swarm left SFI because the scientists didn't think it was relevant. I would love the opportunity to talk to the SFI science board about what Swarm really is and how it can be used.

So please accept my apologies for not being at SwarmFest. If I can participate in the board meeting via phone, I will.

Steve

--
Lang, Railsback & Associates
250 California Ave.