swarm-swarmfest2005

Re: What's my job? Tutorial info enclosed! Lets advertise. Re: [Swarmfes

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: What's my job? Tutorial info enclosed! Lets advertise. Re: [Swarmfest2005] review
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:47:27 +0200

        Dear Paul,

        below you'll find my replies.

        Many many thanks for you help.

        Yours, Pietro

At 06.31 28/04/2005, you wrote:
I think I missed a meeting or something. I thought I was getting these emails to the Organizers list by mistake, and just ignoring them. If I am an organizer, please tell me what you want me to do, I'll do it.

My idea was that address@hidden had the same recipients as address@hidden; I don't know why you are in address@hidden, but now I'm very happy and grateful for the result!

Looking at the Swarmfest list, I think conspicuous by their absence are some long time Italian Swarm users, such as Alessandro Perrone. How about Professor Luna? Where is that friendly Mateo person I met in Seattle? Does anybody know Rosaria Conte? What is she up to?

Alessandro Perrone is concluding his study cicle and so he is very busy; anyway you can send him a message to encourage his participation ...

Francesco Luna is working hardly for the IMF and his last message, a few weeks ago, was from Riga, in Latvia ...

Rosaria Conte has a lot of troubles for the survival of her institute, as you can see at http://www.osservatorio-ricerca.it/nuovo/sondaggi/sondaggio-new-inglese/index.htm; anyway the situation at present is a getting better and I sent her a message asking to come in Torino, also with your name.

        Now I'm writing to Matteo.

I'm crazy enough to think that we should put some strong arm tactics on people to try to see if they will show up. If you make a tentative list of papers within a few days, I will package it into an email to the swarm-support and simsoc lists saying "hey, you should come to this meeting."

        Wonderful, I agree enthusiastically!

I suppose I could do that more easily if I were not an actual member of your Organizing committee.

Many thanks; please feel that you are not a member of the organizing commettee, but a stragic friend! The tentative list of the submissions is:

P.E. Johnson, E S. Herron, University of Kansas, Assessing Variation in Mixed Electoral Rules Using Agent-Based Models

G.A. Britton, S.B. Tor, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, Expert Systems for Design: The Challenge for SWARM

E. Cadario, University of Torino, Italy, R & D for innovation

F. Coulon, Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden, Schumpeterian competition with SWARM, an agent-based framework for computational modelling

G. Ferraris, R. Marras, University of Torino, Italy, The value of the security

G. Fioretti and A. Lomi, University of Bologna, Italy, An Agent-Based Version of the “Garbage Can” Model of Organizational Decision-Making

T. Freeman, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, Agent-based modeling of farming and rural change in Western Canada

M. L'Episcopo, A. Sgroi, Proteo Inc., Italy, Citrus Tristeza Virus desease modelling

M. Richiardi, F. Paladi, LABORatorio R. Revelli Center for Employment Studies, Italy, Jesus, Hillel and the Man of the Street. Moral and Social Norms in Heterogeneous Populations

P. Terna, University of Torino, Italy, The co-evolution of enterprise systems and employment structures

A. Cappellini, A. Raimondi, University of Torino, Italy, An hybrid simulation of banks lending process

M. Lamieri, M. Remondino, University of Torino, Italy, Theory of Social Networks Applied to an Evolutionary Minority Game: an AgentBased Model in Swarm

D.Ietri, M.Lamieri, University of Torino, Italy, Networks between markets and hierarchical structures: an agent based simulation framework

R.Boero, University of Surrey, UK, Public Goods Provision in the Field: ABMs of a Local Production System Considering Empirical Behaviour and Communication

Abstract or papers are at http://eco83.econ.unito.it/terna/swarmfest2005papers/

        We have only to wait a few days for the acceptance procedure.

It appears to me you should quickly to act to accept the proposals you have in order to make sure people actually come to the meeting. But, then again,that's a non-organizer's point of view. Concerning the particulars, I'd be delighted in particular to hear the presentations by G. Ferraris as well as Freeman's talk on farming.

        I agree completely.

I'll have an outline of the tutorial session within a couple of days, in case you want to circulate that. Here's what I have so far. I'm pasting it in out of an Open Office document I was just tying.

        Tell me when you want that I place the lines below into the Fest wiki.

 I.Power Tour of Swarm Applications (1 hour)
A. Consider an agent-based simulation. What are the defining characteristics?
   i.What do the agents do?
   ii. How do they interact (sense & effect each other)?
    a) Do they “find each other” as individuals?
    b) Do they respond to “environmental traces”?
   iii. What is the Scheduling framework?
    a) Do all agents act simultaneously?
    b) Do they take “steps” in turn?
    c) Dynamic, event-driven scheduling
    d) Synchronous vs Asynchronous is a conceptual, not a Swarm, distinction
  B.Survey and graphical demonstration:
   i.Conway's Game of Life
   ii. Schelling's Neighborhood Segregation Model
   iii. Savage's Arborgames
   iv. Santa Fe Artificial Stock Market
   v. Latane & Nowak's Social Impact Model
   vi. Heatbugs
   vii. Mousetrap
   viii. Huckfeldt & Johnson Opinion Formation Model
 II. How to get started (45 minutes)
  A. Installing Swarm
  B. What Programming background is required
  C. What every Swarm programmer needs these things
   i.The Apple Obj-C book
   ii. Swarm docs & user guide & Swarm FAQ
   iii. swarmapps & the tutorial
 III.Swarm Idioms
  A. Memory “zones”
  B. createBegin/createEnd
  C. Protocols (id <Activity>) versus (id) and (Activity *)
  D. This will continue along with basic concepts I think are important.
 IV.Anatomy of a Swarm Program: Swarm Sugar Scape (sss)
A. This will not be massively different from the outline I have online already at http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Presentations/ESA-Portland-2004/Presentations/SSS_Swarm_Tutorial1.pdf
 V.Adding a New Class in a Swarm Model: A Predator on the Sugar Scape
 A. The Handouts that go with this are online here:
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Presentations/ESA-Portland-2004/Handouts/sss-2.2-Handouts.tar.gz

Advertising Message to Swarm Tutorial Students:

It is not possible for you to learn all nuances and details of Swarm in a single afternoon. You can, however, gain a solid understanding of the kinds of problems for which Swarm programs have proven useful and some ideas about how you might apply these models in your own research.

I think the best way to prepare for the tutorial is to find a computer that has Swarm-2.2 installed, or install it for yourself, and then try to download the swarmapps-objc package of demonstration programs. In particular, inside that package, there is a step-by-step tutorial for Swarm. If you read through the README files in those directories, and perhaps try to compile and run some of the examples, I think it will give you a good frame of mind for the tutorial.

If you can't get access to a computer that has a working copy of Swarm, I'd urge you to take a couple of steps in preparation. First, get a good book on the C programming language. If you can find a book that has the coverage of Objective-C as well, such as Steven Kochan's recent book, then that will be fine. But the Objective-C part is not really necessary. After you understand C, you can download a free book from the Apple website. That's the one we colloquially call “the objective-C book” because, for a long time, it was the only book to be found on the subject. I keep a copy of that book stashed here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/ps905/ObjC.pdf

If you've only used programs before, but never written one, you will have to travel up a steep learning curve. I've made that transition myself, and would urge you to be patient and to keep trying. I think the best thing you could do for yourself is to avoid using MS Windows. Get a Unix or Linux Operating system of some sort, or get a Macintosh OS X, because that is a BSD Unix system underneath. I've seen it with my own eyes—you can open up a terminal and interact with it as if it were really a Unix system. MS Windows is still too frustrating for me. I understand, lots of people use it, but that doesn't mean its right.

When I come to the Swarm tutorial, I'll bring some installation disks for the Fedora Core Linux distribution. If you want to erase a laptop, or if you have some free space, I'll walk you through an installation. Contact me ahead of time, we can schedule that. I'll be in Torino by June 4.

Paul E. Johnson
Professor
Political Science, University of Kansas

Pietro Terna wrote:
        Hi all,
        can you give me some advice on the unvaluated papers.
The situation is represented by the attached file. I'd like to be the last in the reviewing process.
        Yours, Pietro
---
The world is full of interesting problems to be solved!
Home page http://web.econ.unito.it/terna

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504