swarm-swarmfest2007

[Swarmfest2007] Status update, 31 May

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarmfest2007] Status update, 31 May
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:40:44 -0700

OK everyone, here is an update of where we are, followed by a list of what needs to be done. We need help, so please step up!

First, let me thank Steve Lytinen for all the effort he's putting in, in the middle of a busy teaching time.

1. Housing. We reserved a relatively small block of rooms (something like 20 single rooms and 10 doubles) at the University Center. There is a stiff penalty for un-reserving rooms: 50% of room cost if we do it up to June 11, and 75% afterward. So far only a few rooms have been reserved, but we're still a ways from the June 16 registration deadline. I think we should just hold on and hope all the rooms are used up. (It is supposed to be easy to get additional rooms if we need them.)

2. Abstract deadline. The official deadline is tomorrow and, as usual, the abstracts are just beginning to trickle in. Does anyone have a reason why we can't extend it for 2 weeks (or just 1 week, to keep the pressure on?), while processing the abstracts that have come in?

3. Banquet plans are starting to gel. Within our budget, we can get a buffet dinner in a very nice space that is only a block or two from the conference. The Berghoff was a Chicago landmark restaurant (I had my first really bad date there 30 years ago) that now only does catered events (but still serves their own beer). We just got details from the caterer and will negotiate something reasonable. http://www.cbcaters.com/?menu=6

4. Tutorials. Both the Repast and NetLogo crews are putting on full-day classes on the 12th. No one has volunteered to do a Swarm class...

5. Managing abstract reviews now needs our attention. Paul Box is quietly serving as human spam filter and forwarding submittals to this list. We need to reply to let people know their submittal arrived, and organize the reviews. We've received 1-2 requests for early decisions, which we really need to comply with so people can get travel grants.

6. SwarmFest email list. For some reason, people have tried to subscribe to address@hidden when they submit their abstract. We should not let them do so unless there's a good reason. Today I unsubscribed one such person (salim bitam), with an apology. We did recently add two people to the swarmfest list: Josh Unterman of Northwestern will be running the NetLogo class, and Matthew Francisco is the grad student writing a thesis on the rise and impact of agent-based modeling who wants to observe SwarmFest.

To do:

1. Decide on extending abstracts. Any objections to extending 1-2 weeks?

2. Managing abstracts. We need to immediately get this organized.

-- We need several volunteers to review the abstracts (Jim A., Alex, Pietro?).

-- Especially, we need one person to organize the review: respond to submittals, keep track of what's been reviewed, send responses to submitters, maintain a list of accepted talks... Pietro?

3. Make your plans to attend! I would really really like to have a quorum for an in-person board meeting. Our venue this year is cheap and easy to get to---I bought airfare yesterday and it wasn't too bad yet. It would also be really nice to hear talks by board members, to see what the old timers are up to.

4. Web site updates:
-- On the "schedule" page we need to put in at least an overview schedule. I'll work on that.
-- More details on tutorials are available to add.
-- Uri Wilenski's featured talk can be added.

5. Jim: Is the t-shirt design coming along? Do you know when the design has to be where in what format? Steve L. should be able to put you in contact with somebody who can put you in contact with the printer...

Thanks!

Steve

--
Steve Railsback