synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic task-support for RHL/RHEL/FC

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic task-support for RHL/RHEL/FC
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:28:37 +0200

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 08:28:00PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> FYI, I've updated apt-groupinstall and it's comps.xml backend to be
> compatible with the new task-support in Synaptic. You'll need the latest
> version of apt-groupinstall (backend) from the apt-rpm svn repository for
> it to work:
> https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/apt-rpm/trunk/contrib/apt-groupinstall/
> Or if you're lazy you can get both apt and synaptic packages for FC2 with
> this stuff integrated from http://fedora.laiskiainen.org/[S]RPMS.fdr/,
> src.rpm's should build on FC1 as well.

Cool! Thanks!

> A minor caveat currently: it doesn't know whether a given task has been
> already installed or not, that'll need to be dealt with at some point. Oh
> and the group description window is a bit plain-looking, would be nice to
> have a bit fancier formatting (fonts/colors etc) at some point :)

Yeah :) The "is task already installed" question is a tricky one. In
debian it's easy to answer as the debian tasksel is a independent
program that does a apt-cache dumpavail and so reads all of the
packagedatabase anyway. This results in a pretty slow taskwindow in
synaptic (take a bit to build).

Thanks,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ