synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution switch in main window

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution switch in main window
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:22:22 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:05:08PM +0200, Jens Hatlak wrote:
> Hi list!
Hi Jens,

> I'm new here, but not to Synaptic itself. I like it very much,
> especially the Distribution switch on the Experts tab in Preferences. My
> Debian system is testing/unstable, which means I normally use testing
> but switch to unstable very often to install newly-released versions of
> software like KDE. The Distribution switch allows me to both keep my
> system consistent and install software from unstable with all
> dependencies satisfied.
>
> What I'd like to see is that very Distribution switch in the main
> Synaptic window, e.g. next to the search button. Off by default and only
> activatable for experts, of course. I think it would be very handy.

Synaptic has to rebuild the package cache when you change the default
distribution. This can take a couple of seconds. Do you think this is
acceptable?

It's actually not very hard to add, most of the code is
there. Unfortunately I have very limited time right now :/

It would be very nice if we would add a configurable toolbar in the
future. We could add cool toolbar entries like this distribution
switch, a shortcut for the "foce version" and other things (off by
default, but available).

> Another question I'd like to ask is whether the ability to select from
> which distribution a single package should be installed (using radio
> buttons) will come back. It was present in earlier versions (0.4x I
> think) but went away, due to a rewrite I guess.

It there again in 0.52 under "Packages/Force Version".

bye,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ