synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] Running synaptic as root or sudo from CLI:

From: Hedley Finger
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Running synaptic as root or sudo from CLI:
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 20:08:43 +1000

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Bionic Beaver

I can no longer run synaptic from the CLI with either the GNOME or Wayland desktop manager. This is the error I get:

~$ sudo synaptic
No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(synaptic:17889): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:48:19.457: cannot open display: :0

I cannot run synaptic from CLI as root even with

~$ xhost +si:localuser:root

Apparently there is a permanent fix by modifying synaptic <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/1712089>:

"
If I'm not wrong, this is a design decision of wayland.
synaptic should really look at adding polkit support to gain the root
privileges instead of running the full ui as root
"

I am not a programmer and am not comfortable with the CLI, so I have no idea what polkit is.

Regards,
Hedley

--
1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
address@hidden