Re: [Taler] Anonymous Selling

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Anonymous Selling
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:10:42 +0100

On 11/26/2015 01:04 PM, hellekin wrote:
> From what I understand, one of Taler's features is that the seller's
> transactions are always auditable.  Does this mean the seller cannot be
> anonymous at all?

Not with respect to the government.

The seller could operate a hidden service and have privacy with respect
to the mint and the customer.

However, he'd still need to have a regular bank account, which we
presume cannot be opened anonymously.  The mint may not learn what the
seller's business is (only H(contract)) or where the seller is located
(and possibly not even his name if the mint is operated by a different
entity from the bank).

However, via the bank account the government learns the full identity of
the seller, and via the mint the H(contracts). Then the seller can be
forced by the government to reveal his business (what the contracts were
about).