Re: [Taler] BBS+ blind signatures relevant?

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] BBS+ blind signatures relevant?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 14:48:54 +0200

Any group signature like BBS, and surely BBS+ too, permits the master secret
key to deanonymize the derived keys’ signatures.

There do exist messaging applications for group signatures.  As an example,
Pond identified accounts by a BBS master public key, with master secret key
held by the account’s owner, who gave BBS derived keys to their contacts.  In
this way, the account owner knows who submitted every message, but the server
knows nothing. We only assure the server knows nothing because the users hold
the master keys.

Any ecash system like Taler has issuing keys and then secrets used by the
client.  It’s now clear Taler issuing key cannot be BBS master keys because
then Taler looses anonymity.  ;)

In principle, BBS might be relevant among the client secrets, so you’re Taler
would benefit from using a divisible eCash system somehow involving BBS.  We
looked into divisible eCash systems early on, but rejected them partially for
performance reasons, but mostly because our real cost is double spending
protections, which they do not help.

I think Fuchsbauer has newer divisible-ish ecash proposals, but likely this
moved on beyond ideas based on BBS.  I’ve not read paper yet, but likely less
efficient than Taler’s current system.

Jeff

p.s.  I’m superficially suspicious that identity working groups push group
signatures like BBS in part because behind the scenes certain figures want this
deanonymization by master key feature.