Re: [Taler] Possible bugs: Sending wallet2wallet payment behaves weirdly

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Possible bugs: Sending wallet2wallet payment behaves weirdly
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 08:55:40 +0100

Hi Florian,

Let me comment on the things where I can actually give a good answer, the wallet-devs should answer the rest...

On 12/6/22 00:44, Florian Jung via Taler wrote:
Hi,
When I now scan the QR code with the same phone (by making a photo with my laptop camera first), I first got an error indicating that my wallet cannot handle this link. (Is this because I'm trying to transfer from a wallet to itself?)

No, it should be perfectly fine to transfer-to-self, I've done that repeatedly myself.

After some time (writing this mail), I get a 404 on /contracts/blah after scanning the code.

There is an expiration date (which should be configurable but currently is not), but it should by default for now be 2 days in the future. So not sure.

I set PURSE-TIMEOUT to 365d (uint32_t truncation bug?) and

Not likely. Purse-timeout is an upper bound.

PURSE-ACCOUNT-LIMIT (whatever that is) to 100. Can you explain what PURSE-ACCOUNT-LIMIT does?

The number of purses that can be created for free without paying for anyone who 'opened' a reserve. The current wallet doesn't support 'opening' reserves (which disables auto-close by the exchange), so today with just the normal wallet this doesn't do anything. And as your fees are all zero, it doubly doesn't do anything as even when the purse quota
were exceeded, you still had a fee of zero.

The idea is that this quota can be used to prevent someone from just setting up billions of invoices for fun, while still allowing a user
that passed KYC to create a 'reasonable' number of invoices without a fee.

I've attached the exchange's log. What puzzles me is the line "2022-12-05T23:21:50.220906+0000 taler-exchange-httpd-54(CVFPY019S8357C2FSN1YZKV7CW) WARNING Invalid coin signature to deposit into purse". How can a coin have an invalid signature in this setup?

Well, it obviously shouldn't happen (as in: clearly is a bug). The signature can be invalid whenever the wallet and the exchange disagree what to sign over...

You can find my configuration in https://github.com/Windfisch/taler-podman/tree/master/exchange-config.skel

Even though this is a lot of stuff, I'd appreciate any help :D

We appreciate your efforts!

Happy hacking!

Christian