texmacs-dev

Re: [Texmacs-dev] [GSoC] weekly report #4

From: Darcy Shen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [GSoC] weekly report #4
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 21:41:40 +0800

When I started to write a Markdown parser, I googled around for a existing C++ implementation.

For me, when I was a student, I decided to write the C++ Markdown Parser to learn and practice C++ 11.

For you, it's intended for a GSoC project. It would be better for you to investigate several existing Markdown implemention.
Comparing the differences between them and finally find out the best way for TeXmacs. Before sticking to a specific
Markdown implementation, spend some time to compare them. I made a mistake to implement the markdown parser in regex.
It's a nightmare for me.

And Max(mgubi) talked about using only Scheme to implement the parser. That sounds like a better solution. We may talk about
it in another thread with Joris: Why we write HTML parser in C++? Why not just use scheme?

And there is an existing Guile implementation of CommonMark parser:
https://github.com/OrangeShark/guile-commonmark

It is actively maintained in LGPL. If we use it, we may check if it is OK for TeXmacs (GPL v3).

---- On Fri, 2020-07-03 21:28:20 Darcy Shen <sadhen@zoho.com.cn> wrote ----

I tried to write a Markdown parser before:

You should start from set up the project skeleton. Define the interface and the test cases.

And this may be a better project to dive into:

---- On Mon, 2020-06-29 22:13:38 yx1107 <yx1107@foxmail.com> wrote ----

Hi all,

During this week I still studied developing md2tm of markdown converter. The commonmark.py (https://github.com/readthedocs/commonmark.py) provides a good example for me to study how to parse markdown syntax and render text in CommonMark standard (https://commonmark.org/).
I planned to re-implement parser in C++, which is core to the TeXmacs conversion procedure.
And, sorry for my silence for committing and replying to the PR (https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/pull/44). I will be busy preparing stuff for about two weeks for graduation and commuting between my hometown and the city where my university is located at.

Best Regards,
Xiang