Re: [Tinycc-devel] Syncing caches

From: Jim Peters
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Syncing caches
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:28:31 +0000

Rob Landley wrote:
> On x86 at least, yes it does.  It's an erratum, meaning it'll bite
> you very intermittently, differently on different processors, and
> you'll have a heck of a time tracking it down (if you ever do).
>
> Lots of people use interpreted bytecode.  Python, Java, dot-nyet...

Yes -- I already have a version that interprets a list of coefficients
and 'commands' to select different operations.  But for something that
is executed as often as a filter stage, it seemed worth compiling it
down.  It also seemed like a fun application of the TinyCC idea.
Maybe it is unnecessary, though ... I won't know until I've done some
tests.

Julian Brown wrote:
> As I understand it, this is not quite true for x86 - I think the story
> goes that so much old DOS code used self-modifying code that all
> current x86 chips must do cache snooping between the instruction and
> data caches to avoid problems running that code. I think there's some
> limitations though, but (something like?) if you have a jmp instruction
> between creating code and attempting to run it, you're OK. I guess this
> is off-topic, it's probably a FAQ on comp.lang.asm.x86 though.

Thanks for this -- I'll have a look at that FAQ.

Cheers --

Jim

--
 Jim Peters                  (_)/=\~/_(_)                 address@hidden