Re: [Tinycc-devel] OSX

From: Steve Dekorte
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] OSX
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:16:56 -0700

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 05:52 AM, Peter "Firefly" Lund wrote:
  http://www.iolanguage.com/

I have looked at it now. It looks like a cute language and VM -- but the structure is neatly chosen to sidestep most of the stuff I mentioned above
:)

Thanks. Btw, the reason I'm interested in tcc is the possibility of using it as a runtime compiler in Io. Not to compile Io code, but to allow users to use C in Io as assembly is used in C - a lower level language for more highly optimized code. This would allow something like this:

factorial = cMethod(int x, """
  while (x--) { x*=x; }
  return x
""", int)

Which would be compiled at runtime to an Io CFunction.
This would of course be *much* faster than:

factorial = method(x,
  while(x-- > 0, x*=x )
  return x
)