Re: [Tinycc-devel] incremental compilation

From: brian
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] incremental compilation
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:12:42 +0900

Fabrice Bellard wrote:

You can send me your hack (a diff -u against the current CVS) so that I can see if it is possible to improve it.

Well, I can, but I also need some feedback on licensing issues, since if there isn't going to be an LGPL form of tcc in the next couple of weeks, then I really can't justify this development work.

A possible idea would be the following: after each TCC relocate, the PROGBITS/NOBITS sections should be moved in permanent memory arenas and clean empty new ones should be created. The ELF symbols tables should be kept unmodified.

That's basically what I do, the symbol relocation/resolution is a little more complicated.

I don't really have a need for a C REPL at this point, but I will probably in a month or two.
I'd look at a gdb-like interface, particularly with 'print' support.

More immediately I need type introspection support and more flexible memory management for relocated code. Actually I also need to cache type and macro definitions for later compilation, so that might tie into a REPL or pre-compiled header support.

Regards,

Brian.