Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is tcc still being developed?

From: Kyle Hayes
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is tcc still being developed?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:25:42 -0700

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 13:39, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:08:34AM -0700, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> > On Sep 23, 2004, at 1:44 AM, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> > >I have not worked on TCC for a long time because of lack of
> > > motivation and time. If someone is interested to become maintainer
> > > of TCC he can contact me.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I would love to use TCC as a JIT library, if it supported PPC.
>
> You might consider using GNU lightning (which is not a C compiler, but
> just a JIT library, ie a set of C functions (actually macros) to
> generate machine code. GNU lightninw works on x86 and on PowerPC, but
> you have to use the latest CVS since some PPC related bugs have been
> corrected recently.
>
> see http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/lightning/ for more.
>
> Actually, I thought of using GNU lightning inside tinycc to have it
> running on my PowerPC/Debian, but I don't have enough motivation for
> this.

You also might want to look at libjit from the Portable .NET GNU project:

http://www.dotgnu.org/pnet-packages.html

I've had the impression that work on Lightning is nearly stopped.  It had
some PPC and Sparc support two years ago and hasn't seemed to advance
much.  It is used in GNU Smalltalk I think.  Is it used anywhere else?
Libjit seems to be used by the GNU Portable .NET project and another
project to implement a JIT'ed version of Ruby (can't find the link right
now).

However, TCC would make a wonderful way to JIT code or at least specialize
it.  It is even available as a library.  It is too bad that Fabrice
doesn't have a few clones :-)

Best,
Kyle