Re: [Tinycc-devel] Generated code optimization?

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Generated code optimization?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:05:36 +0100 (CET)

[This time with cc to tinycc-devel]

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Zolt=E1n_L=F6rincz?= wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> last year in November i asked on this newsgroup about how could one
> generate code for a Virtual Machine. Based on the advices i got i
> implemented a byte code generator.
> I used tree general integer registers A,B,C load-store based, right
> now the code generator doesn't support float/double types.
> Everything is working fine, but the performance i obtained is really
> disappointing. The execution of the byte code is 30-45 slower then the
> original code generated whith tcc.

[Optimization at the VM level]

Another (orthogonal) way to speed up things is to optimize the VM,
using techniques such as threaded code, real register allocation,
static and dynamic superinstructions.  These things require some
knowledge, so either you acquire and implement that knowledge
yourself, or you use Vmgen, which was designed to inject that
knowledge into the interpreters it generates.

I offered to help with the use of Vmgen for use in a VM for tcc last
year, and my offer still stands.

- anton