[Tinycc-devel] tcc (arm) vs gcc

From: Jens Thiele
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] tcc (arm) vs gcc
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:12:31 +0200

Hello,

I am subscribed to this ml for quite some time. Unfortunetely it seems
tcc development stalled. Similar to others I am looking for a working
tcc arm version.

Now i just compiled a native arm gcc (toolchain) and stripped it down a
bit. I was quite surprised that it isn't that big after all.
It seems most people try to use tcc for some kind of "just in time"
compilation in combination with some higher level language (at least I
am trying to use libtcc in such a context)?
Perhaps it would be a good idea to modify gcc/binutils to be suitable in
such a scenario instead? (I would especially like to see a libtcc pendant)
What do you think?

Problems I could think of:
- licensing issues (tcc: LGPL vs. gcc: GPL)
- compilation speed/memory usage (process startup costs)
- in memory compilation instead of using files

Probably it is not realistic in an "embedded scenario" (for now) but it
would still be a nice to have on the "desktop/server"?

On the other hand maybe it really is just a question of having a
standard method / toolchain / headers installed on as much platforms as
possible (or to provide a way to setup such an environment - perhaps
similar to how cpan module compilation works?).
But now I am really off topic.

Does anybody on this ml have experiences with other alternatives
suitable for just in time compilation of c (maybe a subset or similar
language) code at run-time? Any recommendations?

Greetings,
Jens