[Tinycc-devel] Compiling with -funsigned-char breaks stuff.

From: Rob Landley
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Compiling with -funsigned-char breaks stuff.
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:00:34 -0400

So I'm learning the codebase, slowly, via my usual technique of breaking stuff
and then figuring out why.  In an effort to make the 8 gazillion warnings
about sign mismatches (when building with gcc 4) die down to a dull roar, I
added -funsigned-char to CFLAGS, and found out later that this breaks "make
test".  Considering that chars default to unsigned when building on some
non-x86 platforms (like arm), I'd say this is worth looking into.

I'm also trying to read through the Makefile, and I'm wondering why the -march
on line 18 is outside the test for i386 on line 31.  (And I don't see a
normalization for i486/i586/i686 either...)  The whole thing's a bit of a
mess, actually.  I'd like to move some of the test stuff into a "tests"
subdirectory (tcctest.c, boundtest.c, and the makefile's test* and btest:
targets), and exile all the ifdef CONFIG_WIN32 stuff to the win32 directory.
(The downside of this is I couldn't test it, since I don't have a windows
system.  I'm trying to figure out whether or not I actually care...)

Don't mind me, I'm having fun...

Rob