Re: [Tinycc-devel] my thesis is GPL

From: bj
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] my thesis is GPL
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:56:07 +0800

My project has php, java, sql and c. It has a Filipino dictionary (php for online version, java for offline version), and a text to speech synthesizer which can also create an executable (from the .c, .h, and .rc files) showing a window that displays the text and a play button to play the speech generated from the text. Putting all source code files, library files, .jar files, .class files, apache, mysql, php, tcc, LinkRes2exe, firefox, vlc, jre1.5, java dyndns client and possibly a knoppix remaster in a cd is easy since they have licenses compatible to GPL.
I am going to bundle all of them in a cd for an easy fast demo in school.
I will rely on WINE for the NSIS installer and the TCC if that helps in compiling the executable.
What i need now is a GPL- compatible resource compiler (.res to .rc).
Microsoft MSVC compiler , rc.exe, and brc32.exe could do the trick but they are not GPL-compatible. I could use tcc.exe and windres.exe because tcc is LGPL and windres is in MinGW which is in public domain but when LinkRes2Exe links the .res file (created by windres from .rc file and resource files) to .exe file (created by TCC from .c and .h files),
it hangs for a long time and i even have trouble killing it.

when i use rc.exe or brc32.exe with LinkRes2Exe.exe and tcc.exe, all works fine. But only in my desktop, when i run the exeutable created in my laptop it just shows the window, its title, and its icon. It doesn't show its contents. I have attached the executable, please test it in all your win32 computers, so i can see if my laptop has the problem.
I don't run rc file through a preprocessor.
here's what i have been able to do

method A
1. i use rc.exe or brc32.exe to compile .rc file to .res file,
2. i use tcc.exe to compile .c and .h files to .exe file
3. i use LinkRes2Exe.exe to link .res file to .exe file
4. the .exe file shows the window's contents (buttons, and edit box) in my desktop 5. the .exe file doesn't show the window's contents (buttons, and edit box) in my laptop
6. i delete the line in the .rc file
                1 24 RTManifestfile
(RTManifestfile is a macro for the manifest filename) and go to 1 and the .exe file shows the window's contents (buttons, and edit box) in my desktop and laptop but no xp style theme.

method B
1. i use windres.exe to compile .rc file to .o file,
2. i use gcc.exe to compile .c files , .o file, .h files to .exe file
3. the .exe file shows the window's contents (buttons, and edit box) in my desktop 4. the .exe file doesn't show the window's contents (buttons, and edit box) in my laptop 5. delete the 1 24 RTManifestfile line in .rc file and go to 1 and the .exe file shows the window's contents (buttons, and edit box) in my desktop and laptop

method C
1. i use windres.exe to compile .rc file to .res file,
2. windres says syntax error on line where there is RCDATA
        ID_SOUND RCDATA SOUNDFile
        (SOUNDFile is a macro for the sound filename)
3. replace RCDATA with RC_DATA and go to 1 and if after that .res file is created go to 4
4. i use LinkRes2Exe.exe to link .res file to .exe file
5. LinkRes2Exe.exe outputs null as type of the resource types found in .res file
6. LinkRes2Exe.exe hangs and i have trouble killing it.

last resort would be method B without the manifest file if method C is not possible,
(and WINE to run it under linux)
but i am hoping if method C is possible
(tcc working with windres.exe and LinkRes2Exe.exe to produce .exe file from .c, .h ,. rc , .res, .wav(sound) , .ttf (font), manifest.xml files)
to save space on my cd and for GPL compatibility.

i am going to try replacing RCDATA with 10, and i'll tell you how it goes.

please let me know if anybody need the source code files.
thanks in advance

what do you mean by this
The tool chain really doesn't have much to
do with it.

thanks to all for developing this good small program,
i wonder if an OS can use tcc to interpret c-script in all its executables (no binaries whatsoever, just the OS binary)
just curious.